- Stage Name: KyuHyun (규현)
- Real Name: Cho Kyu Hyun (조규현)
- Chinese name: Guī Xián (奎賢)
- Nickname: Evil Maknae, GameKyu, DancingKyu, DramaKyu, WineKyu, PotatoKyu.
- Profession: Singer, Dancer, Musical Actor, Model, MC and Composer.
- Date of birth: February 3, 1988
- Birthplace: Seoul, South Korea
- Height: 180 cm
- Weight: 68kg
- Blood Type: A
- Sign: Aquarius
- Chinese zodiac: Dragon
- Agency: SM Entertainment
Kyuhyun was born in Nowon, a district in Seoul. Kyuhyun has an older sister named Cho Ara. Kyuhyun's father is in the education business and owns a school. Kyuhyun's mother also runs an art academy and a guesthouse called 'MOM House' located at Myeongdong. Kyuhyun was initially urged to study law and would have been a lawyer if he had not become a singer. His original plans were abandoned once Kyuhyun joined a band in high school, where he became more interested in music and singing. His father was against his dream of singing but allowed him to do so if he did well on his college entrance exams and was accepted into a university. Kyuhyun enrolled in Kyunghee University with a major in Post-Modern Music. He received his bachelor's degree in 2013 and is currently enrolled in the university's master's program. Kyuhyun won third place at the Chin Chin Singing Competition in 2005.
2006: Debut with Super JuniorEdit
Kyuhyun officially debuted in May 2006 as part of Super Junior, formerly "Super Junior 05", the first generation of 12-member rotational boy band, who had debuted in November 2005 with the single, TWINS (Knock Out). In March 2006, SM Entertainment began to recruit new members for the next generation. However, plans changed and the company declared a halt in forming future Super Junior generations. Following his addition to the group, they dropped the suffix "05" and became officially credited as Super Junior.
Kyuhyun made his first appearance as a part-time model of Super Junior in a news broadcast on 23 May 2006 where the group introduced their new single, U. His debut performance was on 27 May at SBS's I-Concert with U, where it was also the group's first comeback performance as a permanent group. The CD single U was released on 7 June 2006, which was their most successful single until the release of Sorry, Sorry in March 2009.
2007-2009: Accident and Sub-unitsEdit
In November 2006, Kyuhyun, along with Yesung and Ryeowook, was placed in Super Junior's first subgroup, Super Junior-K.R.Y.. The trio specialize in ballads and debuted on 5 November on KBS's Music Bank. Kyuhyun made contributions to the soundtrack of the tvN drama "Hyena", released in November 2006, with a solo track titled "Smile". Along with fellow member Ryeowook, Kyuhyun was featured in song "Wish" (소원), in labelmate TVXQ's repackaged edition of Mirotic in 2008.
On the early morning of April 19, 2007, Kyuhyun along with Super Junior members Leeteuk, Shindong, Eunhyuk, and two managers were all hospitalized due to a serious car accident when a front tire burst and the car hit a guard rail while returning from the Super Junior Kiss the Radio show. Kyuhyun, who was sitting behind the driver's seat when the accident occurred, was the most injured and had a fractured hip, pneumothorax from broken ribs, and facial scratches and bruises.
The doctor told Kyuhyun's parents that to repair his pierced lungs he would have to make a hole in Kyuhyun's neck thus ending his career as a singer; Kyuhyun's father was the first to immediately reject the operation, stating that Kyuhyun would rather die than not be able to sing, and pleaded that the doctor find another way to repair his son's lungs.He was in a coma for four days and was told by doctors that he, "had about a 20 percent chance to live." Kyuhyun spent 6 days in the ICU before he was moved to a regular hospital room. Kyuhyun no longer needed the respiratory machine to support his breathing, though it was said that he was only able to walk on his own one month after the accident. Kyuhyun was discharged on July 5, 2007 after 78 days.
In April 2008, Kyuhyun was put into seven-member sub-group Super Junior-M, a Mandopop subgroup of Super Junior for the Chinese music industry. They debuted in China at the 8th Annual Music Chart Awards, simultaneously with the release of their first music video, "U" on 8 April 2008. This was followed by the release of the debut Chinese-language studio album, Me in selected provinces in China on 23 April and 2 May in Taiwan. Kyuhyun also collaborated with The Grace in early 2008 to perform "Just For One Day" (하루만) for The Grace's first album Hanbeon Deo, OK?.
In July 2009, Kyuhyun sang his first solo track. He was featured on Yoo Youngsuk's 20th anniversary tribute album, with a remake of Yoo's song "7 Years of Love" (7년간의 사랑). He first performed it on 12 July 2009 on television programme Yoo Hee Yeol's Sketch Book. The song was released as a digital single, and on Yoo's album on 30 June, with all proceeds going to UNICEF. He and bandmate Donghae performed "Happy Bubble", a commercial theme song for facial wash product "Happy Bath" with actress Han Ji-min, with a music video released on 19 August 2009.
2010: S.M. The Ballad and OSTEdit
On 6 January 2010, Kyuhyun's solo track "Listen To You", for Korean drama Pasta was released. It peaked at number one on music portals real time charts. On 5 August, his third solo song "Hope, a dream that never sleeps" (희망은 잠들지 않는 꿈) for television drama Baker King, Kim Tak Goo was released.
From August 2010 and October 2011, Kyuhyun participated in sub-group K.R.Y's first concert tour, in Japan, Nanjing and Taipei as well as Seoul.
In November 2010, Kyuhyun along with label mates TRAX’s Jay, SHINee’s Jonghyun, and new singer Jino formed project group SM The Ballad. It is described as their label'svocal unit group. They released their debut album, Miss You on 29 November 2010 and debuted on music programme Inkigayo on 28 November. Their debut album includes a solo track, "Love Again" by Kyuhyun.
In 2014 he along with TRAX's Jay and Jinho left the group S.M. The Ballad and the group made their comeback with 7 new members, Jonghyun being the only original member remaining in the group.
2011: Musical theatre and television debutEdit
From the 15th December 2010 to mid-January 2011, he rotated as D'Artagnan with TRAX's Jay "Typhoon" Kim in the The Three Musketeers. Where they co-starred with Yoo Jun Sang, Im Ki Jun, Kim Mu Yul and Dana Hong at Chungmu Art Hall, Seoul. He was placed first in an on-line poll for the Musical Rising Star Award at the 2010 Golden Ticket Awards, for his performance in the role of D'Artagnan.
In 2011, Kyuhyun contributed to group mate, Siwon's drama Poseidon with track "The Way to Break Up". It was composed by Yoon Jong Shin and included in his monthly project. Kyuyhun then sang "Late Autumn" for Yoon's November monthly project. Kyuhyun also appeared on KBS's Immortal Songs 2 replacing his band mate Yesung, winning two rounds.
Kyuhyun was one of four regular MCs on Super Junior's Foresight and in September he replaced fellow member Heechul as regular MC on MBC's Radio Star.He also appeared on We Got Married as part of Fighting Junior supporting fellow member Leeteuk and on-screen wife actress Kang So-ra.
2012: Comeback with Super JuniorEdit
On 28 January 2012, Kyuhyun was cast as Frank Abagnale Jr., rotating with Um Ki-joon, Kim Jeong-hoon, Park Gwang-hyun and Key ofShinee in the Korean production of Broadway musical Catch Me If You Can. The musical ran from 28 March to 10 June at the Blue Square, Samsung Card Hall, in Hannam-dong, Seoul.
In June 2012, Kyuhyun reunited with his Super Junior band mates for their sixth studio album, Sexy, Free & Single which was released on 4 July. On 26 June Kyuhyun's teaser photo was released, showing his side profile looking upwards.
In November 2012, Super Junior K.R.Y. held a concert tour in Japan, Super Junior K.R.Y. Special Winter Concert. They announced that they would be releasing their first single after 6 years of debuting. Promise You is the name of their song, which had its teaser release last November 21, 2012, and was released on 23 January 2013.
2013: Comeback with Super Junior-M and Super Junior-K.R.Y.Edit
On 7 January 2013, Super Junior-M released their second album, Break Down, along with the music video for the lead single of the same name. A press conference took place in Beijing on January 7, and they promoted the album in China. Super Junior M has held fanmeeting tour in Chengdu, Nanjing, Bangkok, Taipei, Shanghai, Beijing.
On 23 January 2013, Super Junior-K.R.Y. released their second album, Promise You and debuted at number two on the Oricon’s daily singles chart, peaking at number 1.
From December 2012 to February 2013, he was cast as Frank Abagnale Jr. for the re-run of musical Catch Me If You Can. From March 2013 to April 2013, he was cast as D'Artagnan for the re-run of musical The three musketeers.
On 11 May 2013, it was announced that Kyuhyun would replace labelmate SHINee‘s Minho as the new MC of KBS 2TV‘s ‘Mamma Mia‘. The first broadcast with him as the main MC was on 19 May 2013.
In August 2013, Kyuhyun graduated from Kyunghee University's postmodern music department with a bachelor's degree. News sources reported the graduations of Kyuhyun and classmate Kim Yeonji as unusual examples of entertainment stars taking their academic work seriously, about which Kyuhyun remarked, "I worked hard to get into university, so I was very attached."
2014: Solo debut At Gwanghwamun, comeback with Super Junior and musicalsEdit
From 18 January to 23 February 2014, Kyuhyun starred in the musical adaptation of MBC's Moon Embracing the Sun, alongside Girls' Generation's Seohyun. The musical was performed at the Seoul Arts Center.
In May 2014, it was officially announced that Kyuhyun was to star in the musical Singin' In The Rain as Don Lockwood, with Girls' Generation's Sunny cast as the female lead. The musical was produced by SM C&C, a subsidiary of S.M. Entertainment, and ran from 5 June to 22 June 2014 at Chungmu Art Hall in Seoul. During August 2014, Kyuhyun made a comeback with his fellow Super Junior members in their studio album, Mamacita. The album title was announced as well as their world tour, Super Show 6 and promotional images were released on the official Super Junior website showing the Western theme of the album. Promotional images featured Kyuhyun and fellow members in cowboy-style outfits.
In August 2014, Kyuhyun was cast in his third musical, The Days. In 'The Days', he played the second lead character Mooyeong, a witty and free-spirited security guard for Blue House as well as friend of Jeong Hak. It was said that along with Kyuhyun, actors Kim Seung Dae, Oh Jeong Hyuk, and Ji Chang Wook will be playing Mooyeong. Its run was from October 21, 2014 up to January 2015.
It was officially announced on November 6, 2014 that Kyuhyun is the next SM Entertainment male solo artist, dropping the first set of concept images at the same time, followed by another set of concept photos released on November 7. On 13 November 2014, Kyuhyun released his first solo extended play (EP) titled, At Gwanghwamun. Kyuhyun made his first music show appearance on KBS2's Music Bank on November 14. Just two hours upon its online release, the solo album's title track "At Gwanghwamun" started to top several major music sites and in 12 hours Kyuhyun achieved an 'all-kill' by placing his song "At Gwanghwamun" at the top of all nine digital Korean charts. Not only was his title song which hit the charts, but all of his tracks made their way to top 10 on most music sites.
In December 2014, it was announced that Kyuhyun would be starring as Prince Phillip for the musical Robin Hood. He will take turns to play the said role with BEAST's Yang Yoseob and actor Park Sunghwan. The musical opened in January 2015 at the D-Cube Arts Center in Seoul.
2015-present: Fall, Once Again, musicals, Comeback with Super Junior and subgroupEdit
In early 2015 it was announced that Kyuhyun was to take part in a news-based KBS reality show entitled Fluttering India (두근두근 인도) along with TVXQ's Changmin, SHINee's Minho, CNBLUE's Jonghyun, INFINITE'S Sungkyu and Suho of EXO. Filming took place in Mumbai during February and the first episode was broadcast on KBS2 on April 10th, 2015. It has been announced that following series will take place with the cast travelling to different locations.
On 25 March, it was announced that singer-songwriter Lee Moon Se had chosen KyuHyun to be his new duet partner in his new album, New Direction. Their duet track, She is Coming, was released on April 7th.
Super Junior special album, Devil was released on 16 July 2015 to celebrate the group's 10th anniversary. The tracks are partly classified by the group's subunits, which include Super Junior-K.R.Y. and Super Junior-M.
On 14 October, Kyuhyun released second extended play (EP), Fall, Once Again with the title track "A Million Pieces". Kyuhyun participated in writing the song, "Way To Say Goodbye". He kicked off his comeback and performed "A Million Pieces" for the first time on the Korean music show M! Countdown on 15 October.
- Bongsun, A Woman Who Dies When She Loves (2015)
- Stage Of Youth (CCTV, 2009) Cameo
Themes for DramasEdit
- The Time We Were In Love theme for The Time We Were Not In Love (2015)
- Till I Reach Your Star theme for Ho Goo's Love (2015)
- Just Once theme for The Great Seer (2012)
- To The Beautiful You (along with Tiffany) theme for To the Beautiful You (2012)
- Rain Of Blades theme for Soldier (2012)
- The Way To Break Up theme for Poseidon (2011)
- Biting My Lips (along with Sungmin & Ryeowook) theme for President (2010)
- Hope Is A Dream That Doesn't Sleep theme for King Of Baking, Kim Tak Goo (2010)
- Listen... To You theme for Pasta (2010)
- Smile theme for Hyena (2006)
- SMTown The Stage (2015)
- Super Show 4 3D (2013)
- I AM (2012)
- SMTOWN Live in Tokyo Special Edition (2012)
- Super Show 3 3D (2011)
Themes for MoviesEdit
- Shine Your Way (along with Luna) theme for The Croods (2013)
- Hello Counselor (KBS, TBA)
- Entertainment Relay (KBS, 2015.10.31)
- Yoo Hee Yeol's Sketchbook (KBS, 2015.10.30)
- King of Mask Singer (MBC, 2015, Ep. 29-30, as Detective Cough)
- Running Man (SBS, 2015.09.20, Ep. 265)
- Super Star K7 (Mnet, 2015, juez invitado)
- Exciting India (KBS, 2015) - With Changmin, Minho, Jonghyun, Sunggyu and Suho
- SurpLINEs (LINE TV, 2015) - With Leeteuk and Eunhyuk
- Super Junior M's Guest House (SBS, 2014-2015)
- Happy Together Season 3 (KBS, 2014.12.25)
- Brave Writers (E-Channel, 2014.11.27) - With Zhou Mi
- Abnormal Summit (JTBC, 2014.11.17) - With Eunhyuk
- Running Man (SBS, 2014.11.16, Ep. 221) - With Leeteuk
- 100 People 100 Songs (JTBC, 2014.11.07) - With Kangin
- A Song for You 3 (KBS, 2014, Ep. 14-15)
- Star Gazing (MBC, 2014.09.18) - With Leeteuk, Shindong, Eunhyuk and Ryeowook
- Super Star K6 (Mnet, 2014.08.22/ 2014.08.29, invited judge)
- Strongest Group/The Ultimate Group/最强天团 (JSTV China; 2014.08.08)
- The Genius 2 (tvN, 2014.02.08, Ep. 10) - With Shindong, Sungmin and Eunhyuk
- Weekly Idol (MBC, 2013.10.09, Ep. 116) With Henry
- Happy Together Season 3 (KBS, 2013.07.24) - With Henry
- Mamma Mia (KBS, 2013, MC)
- Weekly Idol (MBC, 2012, Ep 60-61)
- Shinhwa Broadcast (JTBC, 2012)
- Star Life Theater (KBS, 2012)
- Taxi (tvN, 2012)
- Saturday Night Live (tvN, 2012)
- We Got Married (China) (MBC, 2012, 1 episode) - With Lou Yi Xiao
- 1 VS 100 (KBS, 2012)
- Come to Play (MBC, 2012)
- Hello Counselor (KBS, 2011 y 2012)
- The Beatles Code Season 2 (Mnet, 2012)
- Do Dream (KBS, 2012)
- Sponge Zero (KBS, 2012)
- Mnet Wide Open Studio (Mnet, 2012)
- Radio Star (MBC, 2011 - Presente, MC, ongoing)
- The Beatles Code (Mnet, 2011)
- CulTwo Show (SBS, 2011)
- 1000 Songs Challange (SBS, 2011)
- Immortal Song 2 (KBS, 2011)
- Vitamin (KBS, 2011)
- Idol Sport championship (MBC, 2011)
- Hallyu Olympic (SBS, 2011)
- Love Request (KBS, 2011)
- Radio Star (MBC, 2010.09.23)
- Music Garage (KBS, 2010)
- Quiz! Change The World (MBC, 2010)
- SHINPD (SBS, 2010)
- Star Dance Battle (MBC, 2010)
- Good Morning Talk Show (SBS, 2010)
- Youth Alkkagi (MBC, 2010)
- The Muzit (2010)
- Super Junior Song Battle (KBS, 2009)
- Love Family (KBS, 2009)
- Intimate Note (SBS, 2009)
- Star Golden Bell (KBS, 2009)
- Music Travel LaLaLa (MBC, 2009)
- Strong Heart (SBS)
- Star King (SBS)
- Super Junior Exploring the Human Body (SBS, 2007)
- Super Junior Mini Drama (Mnet, 2006)
- Super Junior Full House (SBS, 2006)
- Super Junior Kiss The Radio (Sukira) (KBS, 2015.05.24, Especial DJ)
- Super Junior Kiss The Radio (Sukira) (KBS, 2015.05.20, Especial DJ)
- Radio 'Cultwo Show' (SBS, 2014.11.24, guest) With Zhoumi
- Super Junior Kiss The Radio (Sukira) (KBS, 2014.10.01, Especial DJ)
- SimSimTaPa/Stop The Boring Time (MBC, 2014.07.03) With Super Junior
- Idol True Colors (MBC C-Radio, 2014.04.26, guest) With Super Junior M
- SimSimTaPa/Stop The Boring Time (MBC, 2014.04.08) With Super Junior M
- Super Junior Kiss The Radio (Sukira) (KBS, 2014.04.07) With Super Junior M
- SimSimTaPa/Stop The Boring Time (MBC, 2012.08.16) With Super Junior
- Super Junior Kiss The Radio (Sukira) (KBS, 2012.08.15, guest)
- Joo Yeonghoon's 2PM Date (MBC, 2012.08.14, guest) With Eunhyuk
- Super Junior Kiss The Radio (Sukira) (KBS, 2012.07.20) With Super Junior
- Radio 'Cultwo Show' (SBS, 2011.10.11, guest) With Yesung and Sungmin
- Park Sohyun’s Love Game (SBS, 2011.09.02, guest) With Shindong
- CHJ’s Power Radio (SBS, 2011.08.23, guest) With Shindong
- YoungStreet Show (SBS, 2010.11.22, Especial DJ)
- Noh Hongchul’s ChinChin Radio! (MBC, 10.12.23)
- Sweet Sorrow’s Tenten Club (SBS, 10.12.22)
- Music Party (MBC, 10.12.16)
- Park Kyu Lim's Starry Night (MBC, 10.12.13)
- Werther (2015) - As Werther
- Robin Hood (2015) - As Prince Phillip
- The Days (2014-2015) - As Mooyeong
- Singin' in The Rain (2014) - As Don Lockwood
- Moon Embracing The Sun (2014) - As King Lee Hwon
- Catch Me If You Can (2012-2013) - As Frank Abagnale Jr
- The Three Musketeers (2011-2014) - As D'Artagnan
- Henry - Trap (2013)
- TRAX - Blind (2011)
- Yoon Jong Shin - Late Autumn (2011)
- Donghae, Kyuhyun y Han Ji Min - Happy Bubble (2009)
- Chin Chin's Members - Hi Ya Ya (2006)
- She is Coming (Lee Moon Sae: New Direction 15th album, 2015)
- T'ple Couple Want It (SKT CF, 2013) Junto a Seohyun de Girls' Generation
- Trap (Henry: TRAP 1st Mini Album, 2013)
- Love Dust 'Remake' (Hwang Sung Jae: Project Super Hero 2nd Line Up, 2013)
- Late Autumn (Yoon Jong Shin: Melody Monthly November Project, 2011)
- Happy Bubble (Happy Bubble CF, 2009) Junto a Donghae y Han Ji Min.
- 7 Years of Love 'Remake' (Yoo Young Suk: 20th Anniversary Tribute album Part.1, 2009)
- Wish (TVXQ: MIROTIC Repackaged, 2008) Junto a Ryeowook.
- Just For One Day (CSJH The Grace: One More Time, OK?, 2007)
- SK Telecom
- 12 + Plus Miracle(with Donghae)
- 12 Plus Love cologne(with Siwon)
- Happy Bubble(with Donghae and Han Ji Min)
- Lotte Duty Free
- Tony Moly
|Mini Album||Information||Track list|
Fall, Once Again
The Day We Felt the Distance
在光化門 (At Gwanghwamun)
- K-Pop Group: Super Junior
- Position: Main vocalist, Dancer and Maknae
- Sub-Units: Super Junior K.R.Y. y Super Junior M
- Ex Sub-group: S.M. The Ballad
- Voice type: Baritone
- Fanclub: Gamers
- Education: He graduated from KyungHee University in Seoul, with a Post-Modern Music specialization
- Family: Father, Mother and an older sister (Cho Ahra)
- Religion: Christian
- Languages: Korean, Mandarin, Japanese (Basic), Spanish (Basic)
- Casting: Chin Chin Singing Competition 3rd place
- Debut: May 27, 2006
- Instruments: Piano, clarinet y harmonica
- Oficial Page
- iTunes Profile
- Oficial Twitter
- Oficial Weibo
- Oficial Cyworld
- Profile (Naver)
- Profile (Daum)
- Profile (Nate)
- Youtube Channel